Tuesday, December 2, 2008

From Backstagejobs

Pet Peeves:
"Male stagehands that treat female stagehands as idiots: If you can do it, so can she. Or, as my wife likes to say: “If you’re able to do it, it can’t be that hard.” A box that normally needs 1 guy to move does not need 5 guys suddenly “helping” if 1 gal starts to move it. A female electrician is usually just as good, if not better, than her male counterparts."

Photobucket

Thanks, Patrick. This kinda shit makes me crazy. 99% of the dudes I work with are awesome and respectful. But every once in a while I run into the kind of tool who thinks I'm incapable of lifting a fresnel.
Also, while sometimes amusing, it's slightly offensive that every time some non-techie guy comes into the theatre and watches me working, I am called some variation of the word "beasty". Would you say the same to a guy my size doing what I do?

However, this kind of thing is more forgivable, if only because it's a recent development that more and more women are taking on physical "manly" jobs, and I guess some people are still honestly surprised to see that. It sort of reminds me of the story of my childhood friend, Nichole, seeing a black man for the first time and asking her mother why he was covered in mud. It was innocent, but still pretty damned offensive.

No comments:

Facebook

Share on Facebook Share on Facebook Share on Facebook Share Share

The Genie Police:

Max Weight 300 Lbs

Max Weight 300 Lbs

About Me

My photo
New York, New York, United States
Tired. Caffeinated. Quietly evil.

I'm a theatre technician, living and working in NYC. Also an aspiring costumer, makeup artist, playwright and dilettante.
I like to rant about things, I swear like a person who swears a lot, and I work too much. Other than that, my time is spent at home with the puppy or in Chelsea bars with friends and co-workers.